Black History

Crime & Scandals




  • Steuben County was included in the Phelps and Gorham Purchase. It was sold by Phelps and Gorham to Robert Morris to William Pulteney...the first settlements were 1787 to 1790. Immigrants from Wyoming, PA these early settlers were originally from CT. Gazetteer of the State of New York: 1860 by Frank Place


  • "In the summer of 1789 ...the first settlers conveyed their provisions, baggage, and families, from Newtown on a seven-ton boat, while four sons of Mr. Uriah Stephens drove the cattle along the shore. The ascent, of the river was no easy task, as frequently they were obliged to cut away the trunks of trees, and dams of the driftwood to clear a passage for their boat... Having gained the upper flats,...the pioneers proceeded to build a house of logs 26 feet long and 24 feet wide. There was only one room below. Four fireplaces were excavated in the four corners of the room, and with plenty of wood the settlers passed the winter quite comfortably. Two families spent the winter in this log palace, and in the spring two others were admitted, each occupying a corner and arranging their domestic affairs in their own way, with as much good-humor as if their apartments had been separated by brick and mortar. History of Steuben County, New York by Clayton 1879



  • Erie Railroad comes to town.


  • William Carter dreams during a hunting trip in Canisteo he discovers a 50-barrel flowing oil well. The New York Times reported that for several years Carter traveled out west then returned to work in the Carter family foundry before oil was struck in the spot of his dreams.More


  • The Carter Foundry was built in Canisteo a time there were no fewer then 10 factories in the village of Canisteo. The Foundry was built by the Kelsey Bergen (some historians list his name as Berger) and H. Carter. Originally, it manufactured agricultural implements. After a few months of operation, Carter bought out his partner and turned the business into a machine and boiler shop.

    Employing 10-12 workers, the steam engine shop produced about $18,000 annually in products. Carter specialties included engines, reversible plows, horse shoes, cultivators, potato diggers, land rollers, large kettles, sleigh and wagon shoes, post mauls, hay racks, root cutters, stump machines, pulleys and hangers according to the historian William H. Stuart's . See CARTER BUI:LDING Demolition 1973.


  • July 15 Entertainment at Carter Hall in the Carter Foundry. Programme included instrumental duet, charades in four scenes, vocal duet and moral wax figures including Chinese Giant, Siamese Twins and an Eccentric Female. View Handbill



  • To tell the truth and make a long story short, the Canisteo people generally were a noble, generous, big hearted people, and when we came down out of the woods they seemed to be on a strife to see which could do the most for us. I can never forget their kindness. If any body enjoyed life it was the old pioneers of Canisteo. Peace to their ashes. Dennis McGraw of Purdy Creek, Canisteo Times Aug. 16, 1888


  • "The settlers on the Canisteo were of a different mold. Of gigantic size, and equal development of muscle to the old gladiators of Rome, they competed with the savages in their games and hunts, and with success. Their fame in hunting, wrestling, running and feats of strength extended to the Susquehanna and the Chesapeake. The Canisteo Mystery by W A Fergusson from The Granite Monthly New Hampshire Magazine 1889


  • The Great Flood


  • Flood of '35

1972 -

  • Flood of '72


  • The Carter Foundry is demolished by the workmen of Karl Weyand Construction Company for additional room in Weyand's Downtown Mobil Home development expansion on Depot Street.- Evening Tribune June 1973,